14 Mar How Consumers React to Visual Merchandising
On average, retail outlets contain about 30,000 SKU’s that are supported by nearly 10,000 pieces of marketing material. So, with all this stimulus vying for the shopper’s attention, where do marketer’s start? How can marketers effectively utilise visual merchandising to influence shopper decisions, and to better understand the overall consumer behaviour? We have some answers for you.
Incredibly, it’s considered that 95% of the shopper decision-making process is subconscious, leaving only 5% to the conscious brain.
The ideology that shoppers can confidently tell us why they make purchase decisions is wrong! Recent research has shown that shoppers can only rationalise their purchase decisions.
That's because shopper decisions are triggered by emotion - not reasoning and logic.
So how can Marketers manage emotion? First by understanding the effectiveness of their behaviour directly linked to the brands’ in-store stimuli. The best way to tackle this challenge is by understanding the Consumer Attention Timeline which spans over 8 seconds and consists of 3 stages.
So, what can marketers take away from this? A shopper’s reaction to visual stimulus is generic for the first 5 seconds as it is a hardwired human reaction. This leaves opportunity for marketers to leverage these reactions and triggers to gain notice in store above the rest. Only then, will the consumer engage with the product.
Tip: Key visual use and placement onto POSM need to undergo the stages’ trigger checklist, then must be tried and tested. Specialist software exists which can be used to tweak artwork, POS, and planograms to encourage this behaviour.
The understanding of consumer behaviour can be evaluated across a multitude of knowledge areas: psychological, cultural, social, psychological, physio-psychological, etc.
Research on emotions within marketing has evolved three approaches:
In-store marketing and visual merchandising are enhanced by integrating sensory communication and data-collecting technologies for the better understanding of consumer behaviour. This means major improvements to store and brand performance. A well-planned visual merchandising presentation, like promotional techniques and on-shelf positioning, has a positive impact on consumer impulse buying behaviour.
Gain consumer awareness & announce store identity
Attract customers from visual appeal
Get attention, create interest and are inviting.
Are one of the first elements consumers respond to in the shopper decision-making process.
Space & Layout
Forms a balance between in-store navigation and influencing shopper decisions by creating an effective visual merchandising presentation.
Showcase the product. The arrangement of the display should complement the product.